Being a Night Owl

Hey There!
 
 
Today's post is all about being a night owl. I've always been a night owl, even

when I was around 10 years old and would get up at 6am voluntarily I would still refuse to go to bed early! Nowadays I don't voluntarily get up until after 12pm, but I am still a night owl. I thrive at night.
 
The problem with being a night owl is that people often stereotype you as lazy or a teenager who will grow up eventually, whenever you happen to spend the majority of the morning sleeping just because you were up till the early hours of the morning. Now this might be true to an extent, some people might just be lazy, but lets be honest, everyone needs a 'lazy' day every once in a while. It's always good to take time out for yourself. However, now that I'm 20, I know that I'm not a just another 'lazy teenager', being up at night is actually productive for me and I love it.
 
Research suggests that being a night owl could be down to your genes, so the next time someone tells you to go to bed earlier, just blame your parents. I'm not sure if this is the case for me, because my parents always fall asleep early, but maybe when they were my age they might have stayed up later. It has also been proven that some people just need less sleep than others. So if you're a night owl, but have to be up early for work or school, you might actually be alright. Some people need 8 hours of sleep a night to survive the day, some need 4, it all just depends on you. Luckily for me, I don't need much sleep. I can wake up for work at 6am, albeit not easily (I'm definitely not a morning person!) after having around three hours sleep, but I will still stay awake till gone 12 that night & the whole cycle starts again. Eventually it will all catch up on me, but until then I'll relish having more time to get things done. Another thing that I have heard often is that those who stay up later tend to be more creative than those who fall asleep at around 9 or 10. I can definitely relate to that. Whenever I'm awake past 12, during term time, I always get inspired to start my university assignments, which often tend to be visual reports. This means I have to be creative, so I find it easier to do them late at night.
 
 
Why I love being a night owl:
 
I LOVE the sunset. If you've had a nosey at my instagram, then you'll know how much I love them haha. There is not much I love more than watching the sun go down and knowing another day is over. If I didn't like to stay up late, in the summer when the sunset can be any time from half 9, I'd be disappointed not to have any energy to go out and watch it someplace nice.
 
I also love how quiet the world is between 2 and 6am. Well, unless you live surrounded by other students it tends to get noisy again between 2 and 4, when everyone is coming home from a night out haha. Apart from that, it is so peaceful and I find that you can just lie in bed enjoying the silence without any consequences, well except maybe you'll be tired in the morning! Nothing needs doing because you technically should probably be asleep, so you don't have to worry about your to do list that needs completing or places you need to go, since nowhere is open. You just get to lie in bed and relax.
 
I always find work so much easier to complete on an evening and during the night. There is less distractions because not many people are on social media, unless you know hundreds of people from across the other side of the world. Even still, there isn't many 'dramas' that you need to watch unfold online, during the night. and there isn't as many people for you to chat to. My focus is also much better so I get double the work done at night than I would during the day. This makes me so much more productive and allows me to use my time much more effectively, which is obviously amazing.
 
Those are my thoughts on being a night owl, thanks for reading. Are you a night owl? Or an early bird? What are your thoughts on staying up all night? Let me know in the comments and I'll see you in the next post.
 

Comments

  1. Definitely a night owl myself too! It makes sense that I'm a night owl if it's genetic, because both of my parents are :) Nice post, never seen one like this before!
    xx Jocelyn // lifeinaleotard.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah that might be why then! Thankyou lovely! x

      Delete
  2. I'm the opposite of a night owl haha, but I definitely get that from my mum!!
    Love this post - your writing is amazing :)

    Alice The Rose Glow

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really interesting read, Jade! I need lots of sleep (anything under 8 hours and I don't function that well!) so I definitely couldn't manage on your amount of rest haha! But I totally get what you mean about how lovely and quiet the world is very early in the morning, it's so peaceful! At the mo I'm a total early bird, up by 7 most mornings haha!

    Abbey 🐬 www.abbeylouisarose.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it is lovely and peaceful. I'm being an early bird at the minute, have to be up by 6 for work, which is definitely not by choice tho haha! x

      Delete
  4. I used to be much more of a night owl, but ever since I started waking up early for work, I just can't keep my eyes open! You're right, though -- that peaceful quiet in the middle of the night is so lovely!

    xx
    Emily
    emilyhallock.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I know when I finish uni and get a job, I'm gonna have to stop being a night out. Dreading it! It is so peaceful, I love it! x

      Delete
  5. It's hard to live in New York City like I do and not be a nightowl! I also love sunsets (my insta is full of them too! must check yours out!) and am constantly chasing them to get the best view in my concrete jungle!

    Mary Lane @NewYorkCliche
    http://newyorkcliche.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I bet!! I visited there earlier in the year and I felt like I was just wasting time whenever I slept. Sunsets in New York are 10 times better than here! x

      Delete
  6. Lucky you! I absolutely can't function if I don't get more than 7 hours. Like headaches, passing out, sometimes nausea. Terrible xD so it's great you don't need that many hours. But I've also always been a night owl. Now when I work from home, I've pretty much got into the best schedule for me, which is like going to bed at 1am and getting up at 8-9. It's perfect. Don't know what it is about these hours. But even if I get the same amount of hours at night, if it's not these times, I will feel bad. So odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, that must be terrible! Yeah, working from home would be the best for me. I'm dreading the day when I have to get up early and sleep earlier haha x

      Delete
  7. In the third to 5th years of my student life, I used to be a night owl, always out until 4 or 5. Not anymore; Too tiring ahah xx corinne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that's exactly me at the minute! Waiting for the day I'm asleep by 9 every day! x

      Delete
  8. I'm also a night owl myself. I find it much easier to get work done at night. x
    Lauraconteur ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment