Day in the Life: Trainee Merchandiser

Hey There!
 
So if you follow me on twitter, you will most likely know that I have just completed a three week internship as a Merchandiser at Primark Head Office. I absolutely loved it and learnt so much in just three weeks. It has made me even more determined to work hard in my last year of Uni (I still can't believe I only have one year left but let's save that for another post!) to help me get a job as a Merchandiser once I finish.
 
 
When ever anyone would ask what I was dong on my placement, I would tell them I was doing Fashion Merchandising and 9 times out of 10 they would ask:
 
What's a Merchandiser?
 
I can see why this is a common question though as, growing up, when you think of studying fashion, fashion design instantly jumps to mind. The business side of fashion is rarely thought about and unless you are in the industry, it is probably not something you know much about.
 
 
So I thought that I would try to explain it a bit by writing about a typical day as Trainee Merchandiser. I use the word 'typical' very loosely because the tasks you do will differ day to day but the overall routine is pretty similar everyday.
 
 
8am: A Trainee Merchandiser's day will start anywhere between 7am (on a Monday) and 8:30am. On a Monday they will have to prepare everything ready for the Merchandiser's to write up notes for trade meetings, when they arrive to work. These notes will highlight key sales in the past week, any new items that have landed in the previous week, their forecasts and how that department performed overall during the past week. Tuesday - Friday, daily sales have to be completed before 9am. This shows how many sales your department made in that day.
 
 
10am: Between about 9am and 12am, a Trainee Merchandiser will then complete any tasks that need to be done urgently or as a priority for that day. This could be anything from Hotboxing products (Identifying which products need delivered to the depot urgently, ahead of other products being shipped at the same time and informing the supplier), Air Freights (Sorting out products that have to be flown to their destination, rather than shipped on a boat. This is usually done when a supplier is running late with orders or a product is needed quicker than expected) or Raising orders. This is when the Trainee Merchandiser will see what orders the Merchandiser has agreed should be placed and will then fill out a form for the Fashion Buyer to check.
 
2pm: After Lunch, a Trainee Merchandiser will then carry out any other tasks that needs completing. This could be a number of different things, including Commitment Checks, Updating Season Codes, Analysis of products, creating Planograms, Sorting out Transfers, Sales Analysis, Updating Line Cards or Grade Checking. All of these tasks ensure that products are selling as well as they should be, there is enough product to go out to the stores and every product is being sent to the correct stores. Analysing sales and products is a good way of seeing which products didn't work so well and which ones performed better than expected, so when they Buyers are planning a new range for the next season they know which products are likely to work and which ones they should not use again.
 

5.30pm: A working day is supposed to finish at 5.30pm, however when I was there hardly anyone would ever actually leave on time. They would be setting up anything needed for in the morning, especially on a Friday. This is because it can take a while to do and will save you coming in any earlier than you have to, which can only be a good thing!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

So, that's it. I hope that covered quite a bit of what a Trainee Merchandiser does on a day to day basis. This is obviously just what I saw at Primark and other companies may allocate different tasks or call them different things, but in short, a Trainee Merchandiser has to ensure products are being delivered to the right places, at the right time to ensure maximum sales are made. I found it so interesting and it is definitely what I want to do once I finish Uni.
 
I hope you enjoyed this post and learnt something from it. Thanks for reading.
 
 


Comments

  1. I have to admit, I never knew what a Merchandiser ACTUALLY did but this looks so much fun. It seems like its pretty varied which I something I love as it never gets boring!

    xoxo
    J
    from
    The Crown Wings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, each week there are new products coming in and it is so exciting! xx

      Delete
  2. I love your job role, being a merchandiser sounds so so fun! Especially getting to see new products x

    Kayleigh Zara 🌿www.kayleighzaraa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun & so interesting, I love it! x

      Delete
  3. This was a very insightful post! I had heard about merchandisers, but like the rest I wasn't 100% sure of what they ACTUALLY did. Good luck this last year at uni! It's always nice finding that something that makes you want to actualise your goal even more! I'm actually starting this september my uni days (with a premaster) and I'm really looking forward to it! (hopefully also finding something to do afterwards). ;)

    Love,
    Dominique

    www.fashionedbypluche.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much lovely! It is such a great way to find out if something is what you want to do. Good luck with your premaster, I'm sure you will do amazing!! x

      Delete
  4. I feel bad that I had no idea what a merchandiser did but now I do, wow and I wish you all the best in the future to making this your career!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, not many people do tbh. Thankyou lovely! x

      Delete
  5. If i hadn't gone into digital marketing I would have loved to become a merchandiser :D
    Internships are great for motivation! I had to complete 3 during my uni years and that's what kept me motivated ^^

    Kirsty
    www.corinneandkirsty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very interesting! They are, it makes you want to work so much harder when you see what you could be doing, especially when you enjoy it! xx

      Delete
  6. That sounds like one busy day - I can imagine you would learn a lot, doing all that! Happy to hear you enjoyed it too, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a busy day, but I think that's what keeps it exciting! Thankyou lovely x

      Delete
  7. Wow this was so interesting! Love the way you structured it too, sounds like a busy day <3

    Morgan // www.justmorgs.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very insightful post. I enjoyed hearing about what goes on behind the scenes 😊 especially as 'Primark' is one of my favourite high street stores.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment